1830 Gustaf Adolf Serlachius was born in Ilomantsi 5 November in the family of Gustaf Serlachius, a rural police chief.
1868 Pharmacist G. A. Serlachius moved from Tampere to Mänttä in 17 September and started to build a groundwood mill.
1876 Gösta Michael Serlachius was born in Pietarsaari on April 17. His parents were brewery owner Gabriel Serlachius and Aina Matilda Rosalie Schauman.
1881 The Paper mill of Serlachius started its production in Mänttä 18 May.
1887 Akseli Gallen-Kallela (1865–1931) painted a portrait of his friend the industrialist Gustaf Adolf Serlachius in Mänttä.
1889 Akseli Gallen-Kallela painted a portrait of Serlachius´ daughter Sissi. Sissi was to marry Gösta Serlachius in 1899.
1898 Gösta Serlachius arrived in Mänttä to work as an apprentice at the groundwood mill established in 1868 by his uncle G.A. Serlachius (1830–1901). The same year, he acquired his first painting, a portrait of a young lady by an unknown 18th-century artist. Gösta Serlachius became a member of the board of the family business in 1902.
1901 G. A. Serlachius died 13 June in Mänttä.
1902 The family business of Serlachius became a limited company by the nameof G.A. Serlachius Aktiebolag on 17 March.
1913 Gösta Serlachius became general manager of G.A. Serlachius Oy. He had earlier studied paper technology in Vienna and been manager of the Kangas mill in Jyväskylä from 1904 to 1908 and managing director of the Kymi mill in Kuusankoski from 1908 to 1913.
1919 The Gösta Serlachius art collection was presented at an exhibition at the Ateneum in Helsinki.
1921 The memorial of G. A. Serlachius created by sculptor Emil Wikström (1864–1942) was unveiled in Mänttä.
1928 G.A. Serlachius Oy donated the church to Mänttä conregation that was established in 1921. The church was inaugurated 15 September 1928. The architect was W. G. Palmqvist (1882–1964). Decorative sculptures (35 artworks) were made by sculptor Hannes Autere (1888–1967), altar piece by Alvar Cawén (1886–1935) and stained glasses by Alvar Cawén and Eric O. W. Ehrström (1881–1934). Gösta Serlachius acquired a national treasure for his collection: "Porilaisten marssi" (Finnish Soldiers in the War of 1808–1809) by Albert Edelfelt..
1933 The Gösta Serlachius Fine Arts Foundation came into being on December 13. The Serlachius family collection, comprising some 250 works, was donated to the Foundation. Part of the initial capital was bequeathed in the will of G.A. Serlachius. The collection included paintings by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, Albert Edelfelt, Hjalmar Munsterhjelm, Helene Schjerfbeck, Hugo Simberg, Magnus Enckell, Eero Järnefelt, Verner Thomé, Tyko Sallinen, Marcus Collin, Emil Wikström and Hannes Autere, and also some old Dutch paintings. The Foundation´s charter stipulated that it: "...maintain, in Mänttä, a museum of good quality for Finnish and foreign art and contribute to the beautification of the said community by using the funds of the Foundation..."
1934 The head office of G.A. Serlachius Ltd. was completed. The architects were Valter (1879–1946) and Bertel Jung (1872–1946). Painteri Lennart Segerstråle (1892–1975) made the frescos of the entrance hall depicting the origin of the G.A. Serlachius Ltd. and Land and Forest (1935–37). A lynx mother with cubs (Mother's pride) was commissioned of sculptor Jussi Mäntynen (1886–1978) to decorate the main entrance and in 1935 opposite the entrance was located a fountain sulpture Boy with a Fish by Viktor Jansson (1886–1958).
1935 Joenniemi Manor in Mänttä was completed. The architect was Jarl Eklund (1876–1962); sculptor Hannes Autere (1888–1967) and painters Lennart Segerstråle (1892–1975) and Irina Bäcksbacka (1919–2002) contributed to the decor. The grounds were designed by landscape architect Paul Olsson. The manor was the home of Gösta Serlachius and his second wife Ruth (née Björkenheim).
1938 Ten old European paintings acquired in London. They include the still life "Fruit Basket and Cardoon" by the Spanish Baroque artist Juan de Zurbaran. The wrought-iron artist Eric O. W. Ehrström bequeaths his works to the Foundation.
1940 G.A. Serlachius Aktiebolag and companies allied with it were combined into one lage company by the name of G.A. Serlachius Osakeyhtiö Ltd.
1942 Gösta Serlachius died on October 18. The Foundation decided to abandon a plan to build a museum, designed by architect Uno Ullberg, in the centre of Mänttä.
1943 R. Erik Serlachius (1901–1980) became chairman of the board of trustees and of the board of directors of the Foundation his father had created. During his chairmanship, the art collection was supplemented following the guidelines laid down by Gösta Serlachius. Over 130 artworks were acquired to the collection. Development of museum operations was initialized in the beginnin of 1970's on the initiative of R. Erik Serlachius.
1944 The Lastenlinna children´s hospital was evacuated from Helsinki to Joenniemi manor, where it remained until 1945.
1945 Ruth Serlachius donated part of the ground floor of Joenniemi Manor as exhibition space for the Foundation. The museum opened on August 26. It was the eighth art gallery in Finland.
1948 The Foundation´s collection, now containing more than 200 works, was displayed in the 20th anniversary exhibition at the Helsinki Art Hall.
1957 The Foundation´s collection was presented in an exhibition at the Tampere Art Museum.
1958 The memorial of Gösta Serlachius was unveiled in Mänttä. Sculptors were Wäinö (1894–1966) and Matti Aaltonen (1921–1978).
1959 The Foundation´s collection was presented at an exhibition at the Turku Art Museum. The same exhibition was displayed in Imatra art museum.
1972 The Foundation acquired Joenniemi Manor with its grounds and outbuildings. Development of the museum began, and one year later the Foundation engaged its first fulltime director.
1976 General Manager Gustaf Serlachius became chairman of the board of trustees, and in 1980 also chairman of the board of directors.
1980 The Foundation´s collection was presented in an exhibition at the Ateneum in Helsinki. The exhibition contained more than 300 works and attracted 57,000 visitors.
1984 Joenniemi Manor was completely renovated. The upper floor was also taken over by the museum, doubling the exhibition area to 503 sq.m. Planning and design were done by the Laiho-Pulkkinen-Raunio partnership.
1984 The 50th anniversary of the Foundation was celebrated one year late on June 1, to coincide with the re-opening of the museum. Mrs. Tellervo Koivisto, wife of the President of Finland, was the guest of honour. Nearly 32,000 people had visited the jubilee exhibition by the end of the year.
1985 In honour of the 150th anniversary of the Kalevala, the national epic, an exhibition dealing with Akseli Gallen-Kallela and the world of Kalevala was organized jointly by three museums.
Sculptor Hannes Autere´s widow, Saimi Autere, donated her husband´s sketch and tool collection to the Museum.
1986 The rules of the Fine Arts Foundation had to be revised after G. A. Serlachius Ltd. had merged with Metsäliitto Industries. The Minitry of Justice confirmed the change of rules 30 December. The representatives of the G. A Serlachius Ltd were replaced by the representatives of the newly established Association of Gösta Serlachius' decendants as members of the board of the Foundation.
1987 The ground floor exhibition rooms in the Museum were renovated along the lines of modern museum methods, thus completing the two-stage restoration begun in 1983.
1988 In collaboration with the Art Museum of the Ateneum in Helsinki, the Gösta Serlachius Museum of Fine Arts arranged an exhibition honouring the 100th anniversary of Hannes Autere's birth. President of the Republic Mauno Koivisto and Mrs. Tellervo Koivisto viewed the exhibition in Mänttä in November.
1990 The museum received a state grant for the first time. The money was spent on conserving and restoring works in the collection. Grants were also received for the same purpose in the two following years.
In early spring the museum arranged a major exhibition of Gallen-Kallela works from its own collection at the Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde Museum in Stockholm.
1991 Owing to a deterioration in the Foundation's financial situation, art acquisitions were terminated for the present. The collection then included more than 1,100 works.
For financial reasons, the museum had to be closed from 14.10 onwards. It was reopened to the public in May 1992.
1992 During the autumn the museum, in collaboration with the Finnish Institute in France and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, arranged the exhibition "Akseli Gallen-Kallela et l'eveil de la Finlande". It was the main event in France in celebrations marking the 75th anniversary of Finnish independence.
1993 Under the provisions of new legislation on the financing of educational and cultural activities, the museum became entitled to statutory state subsidies with effect from the beginning of the year.
The Gösta Serlachius Fine Arts Foundation celebrated its 60th anniversary on 16.12.
1994 Items from the Foundation´s collections are included in an invitational exhibition of 19th-century Finnish art at the Amos Anderson Art Museum in Helsinki in the beginning of the year. The Foundation celebrates its 60th anniversary at the same time.
1995 An exhibition of sculptures by Jussi Mäntynen is arranged at the museum.
1997 An exhibition of works by Lennart Segerstråle is arranged at the museum.
The park surrounding the museum is refurbished and a new parking lot provided following a comprehensive plan drafted by the landscape architect Gretel Hemgård.
The museum receives a bequest of 78 works of art from the sculptor Robert Stigell´s grandson Lars-Olof Robert Stigell, who has died in England.
1998 Lennart Segerstråle´s daughters Tita Uusikylä and Christine-Louise Gestrin present a collection of his paintings to the museum.
The Lennart Segerstråle exhibition assembled by the museum is presented at the Amos Anderson Art Museum in Helsinki.
The museum arranges an exhibition on the theme of Albert Edelfelt and his illustration of the important Finnish literary work "The Tales of Ensign Stål" by J.L Runeberg in collaboration with the Porvoo Museum. The book "Albert Edelfelt and the Tales of Ensign Stål" is published in conjunction with the exhibition. The patron of the exhibition is Mrs. Eeva Ahtisaari, who attends the official opening.
2000 The Foundation acquired G.A. Serlachius Oy´s former head office in the centre of Mänttä from Metsä-Serla Oyj.
The Foundation unveiled the sculpture Year 2000 by Martti Peltokangas in the park beside the church in the centre of Mänttä on June 29.
2002 An exhibition of works by the sculptor Emil Wikström is arranged at the museum. At the same time, Wikström´s sculpture The Hoer (1908) is placed in the grounds of the museum.
2003 The former G.A. Serlachius Oy head office that the Foundation had acquired in 2000 is opened as the G.A. Serlachius Museum (today known as Serlachius Museum Gustaf). It presents the engagement of the Serlachius family in the forest industry and the cultural history in its various temporary exhibitions.
2006 ICOM (internationa Council of Museums) - Finnish Committee awarded G.A. Serlachius Museum with Museum act of the Year award 17 May, 2006. The role of the museum as versatile and active local cultural operator was thanked in the arguments. The exhibitions present in an interesting way both general Finnish cultural history as well as that of Mänttä.
2009 The Organisations of Gösta Serlachius art museum and G.A. Serlachius Museum were integrated in January 2009. The basis of the reform was the decision of the board to optimize and renew the operations of the museums.
The director of the G.A. Serlachius Museum, Pauli Sivonen was chosen the assembler of the organization. FL Maritta Pitkänen, who had managed the Gösta Serlachius Art Museum, opted out of the employment of the foundation from 1 January 2009.
The Museums adopted a new name Serlachius Museums Gustaf and Gösta. Henrik de la Chapelle started as a chair of the board of the Fine Arts Foundation.
2009 Gustaf Serlachius, who had been the chair of the board of directors of the Fine Arts Foundation 1980–2009 died in Helsinki 17 October 2009. Gustaf Serlachius had a long carreer in the Finnish forest industry. He started as a CEO of G.A. Serlachius Ltd. in 1969. His last position was that of a member of the board of UPM-Kymmene 1996–2005.
2010 The Fine Arts Foundation informed of a decision to build an annex in connection to art musem Gösta in Joenniemi, Mänttä. The construction project had been prepared for in the board of the foundation since 2008. An international general design competition was opened in December 2010 to design a museum building.
2011 In June the entry designed by the spanish MX_SI architectural studio was chosen a winner of the design competition. The winning entry was designed by three architects Boris Bežan, Héctor Mendoza ja Mara Partida.
The design competition was largest ever organized in Finland. Altogether 579 entries from 42 different countries was received. The competition was judged by a seven-member jury chaired by Henrik de la Chapelle.
2013 At Museum Gustaf the new main exhibition called the Paper Devil was opened. The intensely dramatised exhibition tells about the life and business affairs of the industrialist G. A. Serlachius.
2014 Art Museum Gösta was opened to the public on 14 June. During the period of 18 months, new 5700-square-meter building, a wood constructed pavilion, had emerged alongside the Manor. The new building saw also a change in the direction of the Serlachius Museums' exhibition operations. In addition to the Golden Age of Finnish art and European master paintings, the museum now showcases also contemporary art and varying thematic exhibitions. At present, the Fine Arts Foundations' collections will be increased with the classic as well as contemporary artworks.This marks returning to the policies adopted by Gösta Serlachius. Serlachius acquired without prejudice the contemporary art of his time.
2014 Serlachius Museum Gösta's pavilion received a lot of international attention and was awarded several prizes. Project Association awarded the pavilion the Project of the Year Prize on 11 November. The prize was presented to the construction consult of the project, Ramboll CM Ltd.
The pavilion was awarded the Finnish Wood Award 2014 on 27 November 2014 in Helsinki during the Wood Day. The Finnish Wood Award is awarded by Puuinfo Oy which is owned by the Finnish forest companies and trade unions in forest industry. Puuinfo promotes the use of Finnish wood in construction and decoration. The pavilion was shortlisted among the four finalists of Finlandia Prize for Architecture. The prize was awarded on 4 November. This was the first ever awarded Finlandia Prize for Architecture.
2015 Serlachius Museums were awarded 9 January the nomination of The Top Tourist Attraction in Finland. The prize was awarded by Tourist Association in Finland (SMY).
The pavilion attained international visibility as a candidate for the European Mies van der Rohe Award 2015. The most important competitition of contemporary architecture in the EU comprised this time 420 entries from 36 European countries.
The Serlachius Museum Gösta was nominated 19 May The Museum of the Year in Finland. The prize was awarded by Finnish Museums Association and ICOM Finland during National Museum Days organised in Lappeenranta.
The exhibition of Anselm Kiefer's art was opened at Gösta Museum on 3 October. For the first time such a comprehensive exhibition of artworks of Anselm Kiefer was on show in Finland. Kiefer belongs to the most renowned contemporary artists.
An exeptionally comprehensive exhibition Sehnsucht Finnland presenting the collections of the Serlachius Museums was opened 18 October at Gustav-Lübcke Museum in Hamm in Germany. The exhibition comprised altogether 70 artworks representing the Golden Age of Finnish art from the Fine Arts Foundation's collections.
The Serlachius Museums exceeded the amount of 100 000 visitors during a calendar year for the first time in their history. The 100 000th visitor was awarded a free annual pass, products from the museum shop and a flower bouquet.