Thursday 18. June 2015
The publication Göstan paviljonki – pohjoisessa valossa/Gösta’s Pavilion – in a Nordic Light, containing the reviews of international distinguished architecture experts, has been published about Serlachius Museum Gösta’s Pavilion, located in Mänttä, Central Finland. Professors Jaime J. Ferrer Forés, Peter MacKeith and Juhani Pallasmaa have contributed to the publication. Impressive photographs have been taken by architecture photographer Pedro Pegenaute.
According to Professor Juhani Pallasmaa, a member of the Finnish Association of Architects, the fundamental task of architecture is a dialogue with both landscape and cultural background. In his opinion, Gösta’s timber-frame pavilion is appealingly adapted to its old manor house environment. “The southern designers have also recognised the variation of the northern seasons as well as the special visual essence and atmosphere of winter time,” he says in praise.
In Professor Jaime J. Ferrer Forés’ view, the building’s timber cladding is reminiscent of Finnish vernacular building tradition, and the variation of light and shade – of the forest. “Like the forest, the resonance of building frames and façade repeat the rhythm of the trees in the surrounding landscape. Northern light filters between the frame beams into the interior just like it does in the forest.”
Professor Peter MacKeith suspects that the competition programme’s desired use of wood as the main building material could have felt challenging to architects born far from the tree zone of northern latitudes. “The strengths of the design of Gösta’s Pavilion – appraisal of the site’s characteristics and sense of place as well as familiarisation with the material and tectonic inventiveness – spring from a fresh and invigorating approach, from a foreign, external perspective.”
Serlachius Museum Gösta’s Pavilion, which opened in Mänttä in June 2014, was designed by the Barcelonian architectural studio MX_SI. Since it opened, the timber-framed pavilion has attracted lots of attention in Finland and Europe. The pavilion and the architects who designed it, Héctor Mendoza, Mara Partida and Boris Bezan, have also won a number of architecture awards.
Göstan paviljonki – pohjoisessa valossa / Gösta’s Pavilion – in a Nordic Light is a 50-page soft-cover book with fascinating content and excellent print quality. Reasonably priced (€10), it is will satisfy the wishes of countless museum visitors and others interested in the pavilion’s architecture to obtain further information about the building.
The book is printed in both English and Finnish.
If you would like a review copy, please send a request to Serlachius Museums’ email address email@example.com.
Editor: Päivi Viherkoski
Graphic design: Teija Lammi, Grafemi
Photographs: Pedro Pegenaute, Estudio de Fotografia Pegenaute
Printed by: Lönnberg Print & Promo, Helsinki
Serlachius Museums publication no. 23
Gösta Serlachius Fine Arts Foundation, Mänttä, Finland
More information: Head of Development Päivi Viherkoski, p. +358 (0)50 352 2567, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6.2.2019 Olli and Bucklan – The Life and Art of the Ehrströms
- 12.10.2018 Time of Stone – Harry Kivijärvi and six Finnish contemporary sculptors
- 13.6.2018 Elina Brotherus opens doors to a playful and strange world at Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 13.6.2018 Dalí’s Gala is a tribute to the master of Surrealism
- 18.5.2018 Serlachius Museums presents Belgian artist Koen Vanmechelen’s first solo exhibition in the Nordic countries
- 2.2.2018 Eija-Liisa Ahtila’s artwork Potentiality for Love to be premiered at the Serlachius Museums in Finland
- 27.10.2017 Jiri Geller’s exhibition FUCK THE WORLD! at the Serlachius Museums
- 26.9.2017 Elina Brotherus at the Serlachius Museums
- 19.5.2017 Northern summer and eternal longing in the Serlachius Museums’ Summer Days exhibition in Finland
- 15.5.2017 Artists of the exhibition Summer Days
- 31.3.2017 Esther Shalev-Gerz´s exhibition Factory is Outside opens in Serlachius Museums in Finland
- 3.2.2017 Riiko Sakkinen brings European refugee crisis to Serlachius Museums
- 4.11.2016 Marita Liulia´s exhibition Golden Age opens at Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 22.9.2016 Marita Liulia´s exhibition Golden Age to the Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 27.5.2016 Mark Wallinger exhibition opens in Serlachius Museums, Finland