Friday 27. March 2015
A work of art from the Serlachius Museums’ collections has been authenticated as a genuine Claude Monet
The painting Haystack in the Evening Sun, acquired in 1957 by the Gösta Serlachius Fine Arts Foundation, which maintains the Serlachius Museums in Finland, has been authenticated as a genuine Claude Monet, following thorough examination.
Ever since its acquisition, the painting has been assumed to be a Monet. As the artist’s signature is not visible and the painting is largely unknown, its authenticity has at times been questioned. The painting has, however, been on display at the Art museum Gösta located in Mänttä, in Central Finland.
The Foundation originally acquired the painting through a London art broker. It is believed to have been displayed at a sales exhibition for impressionist art organised by Parisian art gallerist Paul Durand-Ruel at the Grafton Gallery in London in 1905.
The piece is part of a group of ten paintings analysed in Mänttä by the Recenart research team from the University of Jyväskylä. Recenart applies cutting-edge expertise and technology from the fields of art history, chemistry, physics and information technology into the scientific study of art.
In the autumn, the painting is due to be displayed at the Monet and the French Impressionists exhibition in Aarhus, Denmark. Prior to the international exhibition, the Foundation wanted to submit the painting for further analysis with new methods developed in the Recenart project over the past two years.
The researchers quickly made an interesting discovery about the painting in Mänttä. Underneath the paint layers they uncovered the artist’s signature along with the date, 1891. An analysis of the pigments and canvas fibres also confirmed the painting is by Monet.
Further information: Direktor of the Serlachius Museums Pauli Sivonen, +358 (0)50 5661355, email@example.com
Read more about the research: https://www.jyu.fi/en/news/archive/2015/03/tiedote-2015-03-25-20-28-46-577011
- 27.10.2017 Jiri Geller’s exhibition FUCK THE WORLD! at the Serlachius Museums
- 26.9.2017 Elina Brotherus at the Serlachius Museums
- 19.5.2017 Northern summer and eternal longing in the Serlachius Museums’ Summer Days exhibition in Finland
- 15.5.2017 Artists of the exhibition Summer Days
- 31.3.2017 Esther Shalev-Gerz´s exhibition Factory is Outside opens in Serlachius Museums in Finland
- 3.2.2017 Riiko Sakkinen brings European refugee crisis to Serlachius Museums
- 4.11.2016 Marita Liulia´s exhibition Golden Age opens at Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 22.9.2016 Marita Liulia´s exhibition Golden Age to the Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 27.5.2016 Mark Wallinger exhibition opens in Serlachius Museums, Finland
- 29.10.2015 Helene Schjerfbeck’s work Robber at the Gate of Paradise to Serlachius Museums in Finland
- 2.10.2015 Major Anselm Kiefer exhibition to open at Serlachius Museums in Finland
- 18.6.2015 International architecture experts assess Serlachius Museum Gösta’s Pavilion
- 12.6.2015 Touching from a Distance and Vision 2015 open Serlachius Museums’ summer
- 15.5.2015 Serlachius Museums presents a major collection of Outsider Art
- 27.3.2015 A work of art from the Serlachius Museums’ collections has been authenticated as a genuine Claude Monet